Jonathan Schroeder is the William A. Kern Professor of Communications at Rochester Institute of Technology.
Schroeder's current research focuses on the intersections of branding and visual culture. His books include Visual Consumption (2002), Brand Culture (2006), Conversations on Consumption (2013), Brands: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (2015), From Chinese Brand Culture to Global Brands (2013), and the Routledge Companion to Visual Organization (2014), and Designed for Hi-Fi Living: The Vinyl LP in Midcentury America (2017, MIT Press).
Professor Schroeder has presented his research at conferences in the U.S., Europe, Africa and Asia, and has been invited to give seminars at many colleges and universities. He is on the editorial boards of many international journals, and is editor at large of Consumption Markets and Culture http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/gcmc20/current. He contributes regularly to several blogs, including Charisma http://www.charisma-network.net/ and Invisio: International Network of Visual Studies in Organization http://in-visio.org/
He received his undergraduate degree in Psychology at the University of Michigan, his M.A. and Ph.D. in Social Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley, and continued his training in visual studies at the Rhode Island School of Design, and in marketing at the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Communication, Language
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Ethics and Morality
- Gender Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Schroeder, J. E. (Ed.). (2013). Conversations on consumption. London: Routledge.
- Schroeder, J. E. (2002). Visual consumption. London: Routledge.
- Schroeder, J. E., & Salzer-Morling, M. (2006). Brand culture. London: Routledge.
- Warren, S., Bell, E., & Schroeder, J. (Eds.). (2013). Routledge companion to visual organization. London: Routledge.
- Wu, Z., Borgerson, J., & Schroeder, J. (2013). From Chinese brand culture to global brands: Insights from aesthetics, fashion and history. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Borgerson, J. L., & Schroeder, J. E. (2002). Ethical issues of global marketing: Avoiding bad faith in visual representation. European Journal of Marketing, 36(5/6), 570-594.
- Kedzior, R., Allen, D. and Schroeder, J. (2016), The Selfie Phenomenon – Consumer Identities in the Social Media Marketplace, European Journal of Marketing, 50 (9/10), 1767-1772.
- Martin, K. N., and Schroeder, J. E. (2014), When Images Cause Trouble, Special Issue Introduction, Visual Communication Quarterly, 21, 184-185.
- Puntoni, S., Schroeder, J. E., & Ritson, M. (2010). Meaning matters: Polysemy in advertising. Journal of Advertising, 39, 51-64.
- Schroeder, J. E. (2013). Snapshot aesthetics and the strategic imagination. In Visible Culture, 18 (Spring) online.
- Schroeder, J. E. (2005). The artist and the brand. European Journal of Marketing, 39, 1291-1305.
- Schroeder, J. E. (1996). An analysis of the Consumer Susceptibility to Interpersonal Influence Scale. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 11, 585-599.
- Schroeder, J. E., & Borgerson, J. L. (2005). An ethics of representation for international marketing communication. International Marketing Review, 22, 578-600.
- Schroeder, J. E., & Borgerson, J. L. (1998). Marketing images of gender: A visual analysis. Consumption, Markets, & Culture, 2(2), 161-201.
- Schroeder, J. E., Borgerson, J. L. and Wu, Z. (2015), A Brand Culture Approach to Chinese Cultural Heritage Brands, Journal of Brand Management, 22 (3), 261-279.
- Schroeder, J. E., & Dugal, S. S. (1995). Psychological correlates of the materialism construct. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 10, 243-253.
- Schroeder, J. E., & Zwick, D. (2004). Mirrors of masculinity: Representation and identity in advertising images. Consumption, Markets and Culture, 7, 21-52.
- Schroeder, J. E. and Borgerson, J. L. (2015), Critical Visual Analysis of Gender: Reactions and Reflections. Journal of Marketing Management, 31 (15/16), 1723-1731.
- Zwick, D., Denegri-Knott, J., & Schroeder, J. E. (2007). The social pedagogy of Wall Street: Stock trading as political activism? Journal of Consumer Policy, 30, 3, 177-199.
- Behavioral Foundations of Marketing
- Consumer Behavior
- Consumer Theory
- International Marketing
- Internet Marketing
- Internet Marketing in the Information Society
- Interpreting Culture
- Marketing and Identity
- Marketing and Strategy
- Social Issues in Marketing
- Strategic Communication
- Visual Communication
Department of Communication
Eastman Building Room 3006
92 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, New York 14623
- Mobile: (231) 709-0273